By Edward L. Golding
This ebook offers an obtainable review of the ways in which key components of expertise have impacted international ecosystems and normal groups. It deals a brand new mind set in regards to the total origins of environmental difficulties. Combining ways drawn from environmental biology and the heritage of technological know-how and expertise, it describes the motivations at the back of many technical advances and the settings during which they happened, earlier than tracing their final environmental affects. 4 wide components of human job are described:
- over-harvesting of average assets utilizing the examples of searching, fishing and freshwater use;
- farming, inhabitants, land use, and migration;
- discovery, synthesis and use of synthetic chemical substances; and
- development of resources of synthetic power and the common toxins attributable to energy new release and effort use.
These options were pushed through numerous forces, yet usually new applied sciences have emerged out of attention-grabbing, psychologically wealthy, human reports. This ebook offers an creation to those complicated advancements and may be crucial interpreting for college kids of technology, know-how and society, environmental heritage, and the background of technological know-how and technology.
Read Online or Download A History of Technology and Environment: From stone tools to ecological crisis PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
The rural Revolution in Prehistory addresses some of the most debated and least understood revolutions within the background of our species, the swap from searching and collecting to farming. Graeme Barker takes a world view, and integrates a tremendous array of knowledge from archaeology and lots of different disciplines, together with anthropology, botany, climatology, genetics, linguistics, and zoology.
This extraordinary new e-book from Sue-Ellen Case appears to be like at how technology has been played all through background, tracing a line from 19th century alchemy to the twenty-first century digital avatar. during this daring and wide-ranging e-book that's written utilizing a crossbreed of types, we stumble upon a look of Edison in his laboratory, input the soundscape of John Cage and raid tombs with Lara Croft.
The once a year collections within the background of know-how sequence examine the heritage of technological discovery and alter, exploring the connection of know-how to different facets of lifestyles and exhibiting how technological improvement is plagued by the society during which it occurred.
At the present time, computing device studying underlies a number purposes we use on a daily basis, from product innovations to voice attractiveness -- in addition to a few we do not but use daily, together with driverless vehicles. it's the foundation of the recent strategy in computing the place we don't write courses yet acquire information; the belief is to benefit the algorithms for the initiatives immediately from information.
- Barbed Wire: An Ecology of Modernity
- Circuits in the Sea: The Men, the Ships, and the Atlantic Cable
- Forestry in the U.S. South: A History
- Lithic Technology: Measures of Production, Use and Curation
- Texas: Mapping the Lone Star State through History: Rare and Unusual Maps from the Library of Congress (Mapping the States through History)
- Radio in Revolution: Wireless Technology and State Power in Mexico, 1897–1938 (The Mexican Experience)
Additional resources for A History of Technology and Environment: From stone tools to ecological crisis
A History of Technology and Environment: From stone tools to ecological crisis by Edward L. Golding